PeopleAndWriting investigates the connection between people of rural communities and the written word in the medieval Iberian Peninsula as a key instrument in forging long-lasting personal identities while shaping the interactions within and among social groups. We aim to look at the lives and work of ordinary laypeople and construct their social profile in relation to written communication for the first time, analysing how the introduction of writing and writing-based social practices changed society. To this end, PeopleAndWriting proposes the application of a novel and holistic approach beyond the state-of-the-art to study an overlooked corpus of written material: the extant tenth- to twelfth-century manuscript sources from the north-western Iberian Peninsula.
Full information about the project, including latest results and news can be found in the web page: https://peopleandwriting.wordpress.com
Candidates will be expected to conduct original primary research which will conclude with the production of a PhD thesis. The PI, with assistance from the rest of project members will provide training and will supervise and guide the students.
- BA and MA in Medieval History or Manuscript Studies.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate a promising record of achievements appropriate to their career stage.
- Languages: advanced level of English (desired higher to B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or equivalent), Spanish, and Medieval Latin.
CONDITIONS OF CONTRACT
- Type of contract:
* PhD contract.
* Limited to three years.
* Full-time employee (37,5 hours a week)
- Economic compensation:
* Gross salary of:
- 1.440 €/month (14 salaries), during the first and second years.
- 1.560 €/month (14 salaries), during the third year.
- Research Project:
* PeopleAndWriting. The Secret Life of Writing: People, Script and Ideas in the Iberian Peninsula (Ref. 850604)
- Workplace: Department of Medieval, Modern and Contemporary History at University of Salamanca, Spain.
- Estimated starting date: 1 August 2022.
The candidate can choose between a specialisation in Medieval History or in Manuscript Studies. The job functions will vary accordingly but, in both cases, will entail direct work with primary sources and interdisciplinary methodology.
- Application deadline: 30 June 2022.
- Interested candidates must submit their application through the electronic registry of the University of Salamanca, for which an electronic signature certificate is required. (https://sede.usal.es/web/guest/registro-electronico)
- For those foreign applicants who do not have said certificate, they may formalize their request through the alternative procedures described in the call document. (https://sede.usal.es/tablon/anuncio/4984/)
The selection process is governed by the principles of publicity, equality, merit, and ability, constituting the effect one selecting body composed of representatives of the research group PeopleAndWriting.
The selection process will consist of two phases:
1. Analysis phase and curricular value of all nominations received, classified on the basis of better adaptation of the Curriculum vitae to the profile established and compliance with the requirements.
2. Personal interview: candidates with the highest scores in the Phase 1 will be selected for a personal interview.
The selection commission will be made up of the Principal Investigator of the European Project PeopleAndWriting and the researchers who are members of the project team.