We are looking for a predoctoral candidates interested in performing a Thesis in our group. A four-year pre-doctoral contract is offered for the training of doctors (FPI) associated with the research project PID2020-117278GB-I00 “NUEVAS TERAPIAS PARA PATOLOGIAS OSEAS: FIBRODISPLASIA OSIFICANTE PROGRESIVA (FOP) Y OSTEOPOROSIS”. The project will cover the implementation of the proof of concept that inhibitors of PI3K are therapeutically efficient to block bone formation in patients suffering from FOP (Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva) (see Valer et al., 2019 and Sánchez-de-Diego et al., 2021).
Background of the group: Our group has carried out an active research on the molecular and cellular basis of bone biology. At present, we are studying several aspects of functional genomics of bone biology: study of the signal transduction pathways that control bone homeostasis (Smad, NRF2 and PI3-kinase); study of gene expression and regulatory elements of the transcription involved in osteoblast differentiation. Cumulative data allowed us the application of this knowledge to improve strategies for bone tissue engineering from stem cells to regenerate bone structures and identify relevant pharmacological targets for treatment bone pathologies (osteoporosis. heterotopic ossification and FOP).
More info at: www.ub.edu/portal/web/dp-ciencies-fisiologiques/biologia-ossia
Requirements for candidates:
- Degree and master in a discipline with strong background in molecular and cellular biology.
- Good academic record (>8).
- Willingness to work with mouse models.
- Fluency in English and writing skills.
- (Desired) Accredited certificate of Animal Research Experimentation.
- We call to apply for a PhD position within the Ministry of Science and Innovation FPI programme. (Granted to our PID2020-117278GB-I00 project).
- Funding to cover stages and seminars to expand scientific training.
Interested applicants should send a request by email (including a CV, academic record, and a brief statement of research interests) to Francesc Ventura (email@example.com).
Project supervisor: Dr. Francesc Ventura. Dept. Ciències Fisiològiques. Universitat de Barcelona (Campus de Bellvitge) 08907 Hospitalet de Llobregat. email: fventura en ub.edu