CiTIUS, the Research Centre on Intelligent Technologies of the University of Santiago de Compostela, is seeking 5 PhD researchers.
CiTIUS is a research centre specialised in Intelligent Technologies located in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. . In the last 4 years (2016-2019), CiTIUS has attracted funding of over 10,5M€, of which more than 2,7M€ are from projects in collaboration with the industry sector. Currently, the centre has 9 international projects under development. In the same period, CiTIUS published over 150 articles in indexed journals (SCI-Scopus) and defended 38 PhD thesis. CiTIUS also transferred 15 software licenses and created 2 spin-offs, Situm and Imagames. CiTIUS also collaborates with relevant companies such as Indra, Finsa, Everis, Johnson&Johnson or Mestrelab Research among others.
We are looking for outstanding and highly motivated candidates interested in developing a PhD in one of our Scientific Programmes:
1. Machine Learning
2. Advanced Computing
3. Approximate Processing
5. Personal Robots
6. Semiconductor Devices and Autonomous Sensors
7. Natural Language Technologies
8. Artificial Vision
• Full-time employment contract for a period of one or two years, renewable depending on scientific performance.
• Gross salary of about 1.580€/month (14 payments per year, i.e. 22.200€ annual gross salary). It includes medical care coverage and work accident insurance through the Spanish Health System, as well as pension and unemployment benefits.
• The estimated starting date is May/June 2020.
General eligibility criteria
• Degree: Bachelor and Master of Science in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electronic Engineering, Communications Engineering or related fields.
• Languages: good level of both written and spoken English, at least B2 or higher.
• Highly motivated candidates with an excellent academic record.
• The ideal candidate will be organized, hard-working and have the ability to work in a team and interdisciplinary environment.
• Good communication skills.
Working at CiTIUS
CiTIUS provides a stimulating, interdisciplinary and cutting-edge scientific environment, where our researchers can foster and develop their scientific career in an international team. Among others, we offer:
• State-of-the art research facilities and career development opportunities
• Be in contact and work in international research projects
• Flexible working schedule. CiTIUS is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees.
• Training Programme in transversal skills which aims to enhance future employability and career success of our researchers including among others, intellectual property rights, technology transfer, entrepreneurship, dissemination and outreach.
• Possibility to participate in dissemination events with industry and outreach activities with scholars, organised throughout the year.
• Access to university facilities: gym, sport activities, Spanish courses, etc.
Evaluation and selection procedure
• Bachelor and Master of Science in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electronic Engineering, Communications Engineering or related fields (up to 20 points)
• Bachelor and Master academic records. (up to 25 points)
• Scientific background: previous publications, collaboration in projects and in other scientific activities (up to 10 points)
• Motivation letter, outlining background, previous experience, recognitions and the interest of developing a PhD at CiTIUS (up to 10 points)
• English level B2 or higher (up to 10 points)
• Personal interview, only to the 6 candidates with the highest score and with at least 60 points in the other items (up to 25 points)
Deadline for submitting applications: 20 June 2020 | 23:59 CEST (UCT +02:00)
The application must be submitted electronically via the University of Santiago de Compostela website:
• Reference number of the call: 4/2020_I
• Reference number of the positions: 2019-PG064.01_I and 2019-PG064.02_I. We highly recommend all candidates to apply for both calls.
The application must contain information of academic training highlighting any background related with scientific activities, including:
• PDF document of the Curriculum Vitae, highlighting the merits that are established as evaluation criteria in the above section.
• PDF document with the academic records of Bachelor and Master.
• A motivation letter outlining background, previous experience, recognitions and the interest of developing a PhD at CiTIUS.
• Sworn statement in which the candidate declares under his responsibility, that he meets the requirements of the call and can prove it on the deadline of applications.
Candidates are encouraged to contact the CiTIUS Knowledge Management and Transfer Unit (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance or for any information related to th