__Analysis and modelling of Biodiversity-based Mediterranean cropping sYstems: intercropping and crop rotations
Deadline: 20th December 2020__
Role profile: We are seeking a graduate or MSc with strong background on Agricultural and/or Environmental Sciences and robust interest in modelling to develop his/her PhD in the framework of the Biodiversify (Boost ecosystem services through highly Biodiversity-based Mediterranean Farming sYstems) project, coordinated by CIRAD (FR) in a partnership of 7 countries.
Duties and responsibilities: the PhD student will be in charge of (i) leading the parametrization and evaluation of the STICS model for Mediterranean crops and intercrops and carry out multi-criteria assessments of co-designed innovative cropping systems and (ii) develop empirical field-based works based on high species crop diversification with special emphasis on intercropping. Research activities will be carried out in close collaboration with partners from the Mediterranean basin and Germany.
Qualifications and skills:
• Master´s Degree or equivalent (at least 300 ECTS comprising Bachelor's and Master's studies, with or without Master's Degree title).
• CV with minimum average qualification of 7.5/10. For qualifications obtained outside Spain, the average qualification should be computed following the criteria:
• Knowledge on field crops agronomy/agroecology and/or process-based modelling.
• Strong background in data collection and statistical analysis for life sciences. Experience on R will be welcomed.
• Ability to work independently and in collaboration with international researchers.
• High command of English.
• Strong communication and scientific writing skills.
• Driving license.
• Willingness to travel.
• Expertise on Mediterranean cropping systems will be highly welcomed.
• Command of French and/or Spanish will be welcomed.
Terms: PhD contract at Universitat de Lleida (UdL) (Lleida, Spain) and salary according to Spanish laws.
About the lab: Flat laboratory aimed at foster innovation in agriculture through empirical and modelling strategies to improve our mechanistic understanding of agroecosystems. We focus on participatory research in collaboration with local stakeholders and establishing on-farm field experiments. We work on the interface between agronomy, soil sciences and environmental sciences. For further info, please see: www.danielplazabonilla.eu
About UdL and Lleida: Universitat de Lleida (UdL) offers a high quality teaching with an old academic tradition of 700 years. UdL is a small university, with approximately 10,000 students enabling human contact among the different members of the University community. Lleida (Catalonia, NE Spain) is a city with a high quality of urban living, with one of the lowest unemployment taxes in Spain, safe and pleasant. Accommodation is very easy. The city is surrounded by the Horta de Lleida a highly diverse agricultural area (19,000 ha) with predominance of orchards. Lleida province offers a great range of outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, cycling, cultural heritage, gastronomy, etc.).
Please, get in contact with us with your letter of interest and CV:
• Dr. Jorge LAMPURLANÉS email@example.com Phone: +34 973702537
• Dr. Daniel PLAZA-BONILLA firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +34 973702856
Funding provided by Agencia Estatal de Investigación (Ministry of Science and Innovation of Spain) (PCI2020-112297/AEI/10.13039/501100011033).
Call: PRIMA Section 2 2019.