__Instituto de Investigación contra la Leucemia Josep Carreras (Barcelona)
Leukemia Stem Cell group - Dr. Ruth M. Risueño__
Ofertamos un contrato predoctoral en nuestro grupo. El anuncio de la oferta se encuentra aquí (http://www.carrerasresearch.org/file-135348_135348.pdf).
Resumen del proyecto:
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is a neoplasia characterized by the rapid expansion of immature myeloid blasts in the bone marrow. The course of the disease is marked by poor prognosis, frequent relapse, and high disease-related mortality. As such, new therapeutic approaches are required for remission induction and prevention of relapse. The difficulty in treating AML is thought to arise from a chemoresistant subpopulation of leukemia stem cells (LSCs) that are capable of maintaining and reinitiating disease. Our research program focuses on the development of therapeutic strategies for targeting LSCs. Using bioinformatics tools, the research group searched for compounds that may eliminate AML cells during the first stage of the disease. A group of antihistamines was identified as potential anti-AML drugs. Surprisingly, the mechanism of action responsible for the therapeutic effect differed from the one previously observed for allergies. Instead, these drugs targeted lysosomes, intracellular organelle involved in cellular recycling. We propose to study the role of lysosomes in leukemia at different levels. Thus, we aim to decipher the implication of lysosomes in the maintenance of the disease, and to identify new therapeutic target and to study the implication of lysosomes in the clinical outcome of leukemia patients. The data that we expect to generate will provide the basis for the development of new treatment for leukemia. This project will be persued under the supervision of Dr. Risueño, in close collaboration with the clinical research group led by Dr. Jordi Esteve (Hospital Clínic of Barcelona).
- BSc and MSc in Life Science.
- Advanced English language skills
- Accreditation in animal research
- Interest in drug development and translational biomedical research
- Molecular Biology knowledge
- Incorporation in the “Leukemia stem cell” group at the Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute
- Exciting and innovative research combining basic and translation hemato-oncology research
- An exciting and innovative research project.
- The stimulating environment of the Barcelona metropolitan area.
- Contract details will be negotiated and take into account the track record of the candidate.
- Preferential start date: JAN./FEB. 2020
Si necesitas más información, no dudes en consultar nuestra página web o envíame un mensaje a risueno en carrerasresearch.org
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and two references to rrhh en carrerasresearch.org.
PLEASE MENTION the REFERENCE 2019/184 in the subject of the mail or your application may not reach the right person.