The Research Institute of Hospital Sant Pau in Barcelona is seeking a pre-doctoral candidate to apply to the upcoming PhD fellowship calls (AGAUR FI/2020). We are looking for a highly motivated, talented student wishing to further develop his/her scientific career within the area of Genomics of Cardiovascular Disease. The successful candidate will join the Unit of Genomics of Complex Diseases in a supporting and stimulating environment within the new Research Institute of Hospital Sant Pau.
Our group is interested in the genomic and proteomic analysis of vascular diseases such as abdominal aortic aneurysm, periphery artery disease, and venous thrombosis. We also analyze related biomarkers as a way to understand the biological mechanisms leading to disease. We will study genetic, transcriptomic and epigenetic risk factors using extensive biobanks belonging to our group as well as through our international collaborations. The position will involve both analysis and wet-lab research, where the main hypothesis will be confirmed in functional experiments.
The successful applicant should be self-motivated, with the ability to work independently as well as in collaborative projects, have excellent written and oral communication skills, and be able to interact effectively and work productively in a team. We are particularly interested in candidates with a biology-biostatistics background who are well acquainted with data analysis and programming. A genuine high level of curiosity for research in general and cardiovascular research in particular will be strongly valued.
• B.Sc and M.Sc. degree in biology, epidemiology, pharmacy, biomedicine, genetics, biostatistics, biotechnology or similar field.
• Background in bioinformatics, experience with data analysis, omics analysis and programming.
• Excellent knowledge of spoken and written scientific English.
• The candidates must fulfill the requirements to be enrolled to the PhD program for the 2019-2020 calls from AGAUR (http://agaur.gencat.cat/es/beques-i-ajuts/convocatories-per-temes/Ajuts-per-a-la-formacio-i-contractacio-de-personal-investigador-novell-FI-2019?moda=1).
• Good academic record with a minimum final score of 8 to ensure eligibility for competitive public calls.
• Previous experience in laboratory work and participation in research projects, publications, and presentations in scientific meetings will be considered as additional merits.
Interested candidates should send a CV and a cover letter and, if possible, the contact information of up to three professional references to Maria Sabater Lleal (firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidates of all nationalities are eligible.