One Research Fellowship (BI - Bolsa de Investigação) for a master degree is open at the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências
da Universidade de Lisboa, for the project INCENTIVO/BIA/UI4046/2014 at BioFiG - Center for Biodiversity, Functional &
Integrative Genomics, financed by national funds by FCT / MEC (PIDDAC) under the Incentive Project 2014, under the
1. Scientific Area: Cell and Molecular Biology
2. Requirements for admission: Candidates: should be holders of a master degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Cell or
Molecular Biology or related areas. Candidates with strong skills in fluorescence microscopy and mammalian cell culture
will be favoured; they should have an interest in learning/ establishing innovative techniques and enjoy working in an
international stimulating research environment.
3. Work plan: Work will support research using microscopy techniques, namely high-throughput microscopy for
gene and compound screens. Regular tasks regarding the organization of the microscopy facility will also be performed
(website maintenance, making commercial orders, organization of microscopy usage by multiple users and visitors, etc) The
successful candidate will work in an international dynamic and enthusiastic centre with several teams and in multiple
4. Legislation framework: A fellowship contract will be celebrated according to the regulations defined by FCT
“Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources”, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August,
as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of
29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July. And also by the FCT, I.P.
Fellowships Regulation of 2013 approved by Regulation No. 234/2012, of June 25, as amended by Regulation No 326/2013
of 27 August 2013, in force (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/regulamento.phtml.pt)
5. Place of work: The work will be developed at BioFIG - Center for Biodiversity, Functional & Integrative Genomics
of the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisboa under the supervision of Professor Margarida Amaral and Professor Rui
6. Fellowship duration: This position is initially opened for 6 months and will begin on 1 July 2014. The fellowship
contract may be renewed to more 8 months, in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from
the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. - 2013.
7. Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 980, according to table values of the fellowships awarded
directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can
ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos
Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
8. Selection method: Candidates will be assessed by the quality of their CV (40%) and experience in the required
methodologies (40%) as well as by a face-to-face interview (20%) or through Skype in cases where the latter is not possible.
9. Selection Committee: Prof. Margarida Amaral (President), FCUL; Prof. Rui Malhó, FCUL; Prof. Margarida Carvalho,
FCUL. (Substitutes: Prof. Carlos Farinha, FCUL; Dr. Luka Clarke, FCUL)
CALL FOR AWARDING RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS WITHIN PROJECT GRANTS
AND R&D INSTITUTIONS
2 / 2
2014 PIN EN V1
10. Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through alphabetically
ordered list which will be posted at the entrance hall of the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa,
located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and
the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
11. Deadlines: This call for applications is open from 12 June to 25 June 2014
12. Application: Applications may be sent via e-mail to mdamaral en fc.ul.pt, by attaching the following documents:
motivation letter, a CV with list of publications and description of methodological expertise relevant to this application.
References of two people well acquainted with the work of the candidate should be provided.
Applications may also be sent by mail to Margarida Amaral, Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisboa, C8 bdg room
8.2.41, 1749-016 Campo Grande.